Earth Day is this Sunday, April 22, 2012! Environmental awareness is on the rise and garnering observances all over the world to bring attention to the things we can do to help our environment no matter how big or small the task. Earth Day can be a great time to start teaching your children at an early age how they can take up these responsibilities, or even use this day to start a change in your own habits. While this day is certainly very important, we also enjoy all the fun prospects that can go with it. One of which is throwing an Earth Day party! (Need more time to plan? Extend the fun and learning and make this an “Earth Week” celebration with the party next weekend!)
Green and blue are definitely the go to colors for your Earth Day Party decorations. We’re betting you can find tons of great table cloths, pillows, linens and everything needed for an eco-friendly party. Just be sure to buy stuff you will use again or can donate when you’re done. When looking for plates, utensils and cups make sure to find all recycled/recyclable products or items that you can use again in the future! Mason jars have been a popular choice for parties in the last year with very good reason. The reuse of mason jars is an endless list of fun and easy DIY projects. You can use them as centerpieces with bouquets of flowers in them, keep drinks fresh in them and ready for use, preserves, reuse for indoor plants, literally anything! Our friends at Celebrations.com have a very simple “dipped mason jar” how to on their blog here.
Looking for a fun and edible centerpiece idea? We’ve got you covered! Our new cookie flower pots are perfect for a family-friendly Earth Day party. Our delicious buttercream frosted cookies are delivered freshly made and decorated with spring and floral shapes and colors, contained in a reusable tin. All of our cookies are made with the finest and freshest of ingredients with no added preservatives! Kids will love the bright festive colors and sweet tastes. We also have plenty of flower, lady bug and butterfly cookies to place at the table as decorative Earth Day treats.
Other great snacks to include at your Earth Day party:
- Mixed Veggie tray with ranch dip
- Mixed Fruit tray with yogurt dip
- “Ants on a Log” (celery, peanut butter and raisins)
- Sliced apples with peanut butter, Nutella or caramel
- Small sandwiches with wheat or multi-grain bread
Of course no Earth Day Party would be complete without some fun and educational activities! All activities are inexpensive (or free!), fun and easy to do no matter the size of your party.
- Earth Day Word Puzzle: Create your own crossword or word scramble list (can find free programs online) using Earth Day related words!
- Recycle Relay: Divide into teams (2 or 3 teams depending on party size) and give each team a bin filled with recyclables like plastic bottles, milk jugs, cardboard, etc. and three empty bins labeled as “Plastic,” “Paper” and “Glass.” Tell the teams that the first team to correctly sort all of their items in the proper bins wins!
- Earth Day Pledge: Let them decorate plain white t-shirts with fabric markers or eco-friendly fabric paint with their Earth Day resolutions and ways that they can help the environment!
At the end of the day, you can make a good bag using recycled paper lunch bags filled with an individual Cheryl’s cookie (!), pencils, stickers, and (a great find from the Target dollar spot!) a small potted plant for them to take home.
This is a great party to throw anytime during the nice weather months ahead, with a great message that’s important to learn about every day of the year.
Happy (early) Earth Day!